Sunday, May 3, 2009

Understanding the Threesome


I have been madly snapping pics over the weekend, trying, in vain, mostly to get my head around the photographers threesome; F/stops,aperture & ISO. How they relate to each other & affect the way a picture turns out.

This reading also lead me to bokeh & discussions on this technique- I am way too much of a novice to have much of opinion or to even profess to even know what is or isn't acceptable as a bokeh example, but I do know what I like & what appeals to me.

There were many opinions on different forums about it & some quite heated discussions-some interesting pictures & some, that to my untrained eye, just looked like a complete picture out of focus.

So when is a blurred image, artistic & when is it just a blurred image, and probably should be given the delete button? Its all very subjective & very much in the eyes of the beholder.

I've trolled through many an album in my quest to find what constitutes a great picture or just a very ordinary one-my pics, in the main, fall very short of fantastic shots and the vast majority should be given the delete button-but I do know I have to keep on practising to get any better, if I'm ever going to get a really great pic!

I've played with aperture & shutter speeds-left the ISO alone at this stage- and had a lot of pics that didn't work & a few that did-looked at my depth of field & generally played around, this is the wonderful thing with digital, you can takes lots of pics & just get rid of them-no expense or waiting to have them developed to find none of them turned out. Oh, how I remember those days.

I've chased bees around the garden-boy are they quick! & found lots of bugs on lots of flowers-it's truly amazing what you see with a macro lens....so much more at another level that we pass every day. Even the minute centre of a geranium is quite amazing & barely 2mm in size!


Hopefully I'll understand how the threesome works at some point in time, in relation to camera settings..... in the mean time I guess I can just set it on auto.




No comments: