Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Oatley Park

Today saw me with a little bit of spare time in between calls & no where to go for coffee, so I grabbed a take away & headed down to Oatley Park -for some peace & quiet & a few quick pics with the new camera.


Oatley park is beautiful. Well maintained, lots of walking tracks & picnic areas & the bird life abundant. As I sipped my coffee I heard the plaintiff cries of crows overhead, the answering calls of the Currajongs, the raucous screeching of the low flying cockatoos, the tinkling calls of the Crimson Rosellas & the unmistakable song of the Laughing Kookaburras. What a wonderful way to spend some time.

The park was relatively quiet today as it had been raining on & off all morning but this did not deter a few serious walkers & runners & even a couple of swimmers down in the fenced off pool. Personally I thought it a bit nippy to be braving the cold water of the George's River-but there are always a few who seem to be immune to the cold.

I managed a few pics of the cockatoos, while they dive-bombed me & some of the kookaburras. The noisy minor allowed me to come quite close to take its picture!
There were a family out fishing- they managed to tell me, in broken English, that the fish weren't biting- the kids seemed to be having fun!
This park has become a favourite haunt of mine when I have 20 minutes to spare- there is always something to photograph. The birds are so used to humans that they don't always fly away, but allow you to come in quite close or dive bomb you in the case of the Kookaburras & the Cockatoos!. I have been told that the Kookaburras are to be watched if you are B-B-Q'ing- they have been known to swoop in & take the sausages right off the BBQ plate to the astonishment of those doing the cooking!
Happy Crafting
Oz- Tralien



No comments: